Anime vs Cartoons | Forum

Hatsune_Miku
Hatsune_Miku Mar 5 '15

This is the difference between anime and cartoons that I have seen.

1) Animation.
Now, anime tends to be focused on semi-realism, while a general episodic cartoon will stick with more simple styles. Disney, on the other hand; put more detail in their works than most Anime. This will include facial expressions, movement, and backgrounds. Disney movies are the only ones that I have seen do this. Though Marvel comics and cartoons also focus on semi-realism, it holds to the same level as Anime in their standards. So Anime surpasses animation in popularity?  Why?

2) Story.
When looking at American cartoons, they tend to tell a whole story in one episode. It isn’t a bad thing when you are dedicating it to a young audience. Most anime, on the other hand; will tell a whole story in a series of episodes which keeps you on the edge of your seat and coming back for more. Don’t get me wrong though. I've seen some anime with some pretty measly plots. But there are some good anime out there. The episodic way of telling a story is definitely too complicated for young children as it goes into much more detail. The story telling is a more broadened spectrum as it delves into more serious subjects than American cartoons. In my opinion, it just depends on your audience. Are you reaching children, young adolescence, or adults? So either way, it is a tie between the two styles. Neither one is a bad way to tell a story.

3) Content.
Most controversial subjects I’ve seen are discussed in anime, not American cartoons. However, there are some exceptions out there I won’t get into. American kid’s shows don’t always shy away from death and alternative lifestyles. I have also seen some mindless glop in American children’s entertainment as well as anime style. There are good and bad in both. Have you ever sat down and tried to watch some of these modern day televisions shows made for kids here in America? I have, and can I tell you; I had to put it down and move on. Cartoon Network doesn’t seem to be playing much content that teaches children how to think critically anymore. However, violence and controversial topics are things I've seen cartoons mostly stay away from, however not anime. Anime will touch on just about anything- Even though this can be good or bad.

4) Humor.
Very rarely have I had anime that has actually been funny to me. Now, I have seen anime that has made me laugh, like Tsubasa, and DBZ, those two having high-brow humor. It's not the same as something like, say, Simpsons, Family Guy, or South Park, which have more crude jokes I don’t care for. Spongebob, however; can make me grin more than most anime I've seen, which have left me with an unamused face. Point for cartoons. Both can be funny, but one less than the other as a whole. It really depends on what you like.

Why is Anime so much more popular than Disney? It seems that Disney stresses more on realism than Japan anime does, but anime tends to focus more on episodic storylines that grab people’s attention and keep them reeling. I love both styles. They both are very unique in storytelling.

Share:
Ezmyreld
Ezmyreld Mar 13 '15

Regardless of the fact that there are some American cartoons that are made for adults, most of the society in America think that cartoon is a genre for kids and is aimed for kids. For example: One might say, "Oh, those cartoons, they are for kids? You still watch cartoons?" As they look down on me with weird faces, it feels kind of awkward when someone said that to me.

If people think cartoons are animation, that is true, and I'm ok with that. But most Americans think that cartoons are kiddy stuff and that's why some people think that anime fans are immature.

For those familiar with Anime, it is believed that the word 'anime' mean Japanese animation. However, in Japan; Anime is the universal term used for ALL animation.

So to most American anime fans, especially me, cartoon and anime are probably two different forms of animation, while in Japan; Anime is a term used for both what we call cartoons & anime.
The Forum post is edited by Ezmyreld Mar 13 '15
mdmrn
mdmrn Apr 7 '15
I think the argument is more about American animation versus Japanese animation. As noted above, anime is merely a universal term for all animation. In America, animated features are generally aimed at children. The ones aimed at adults tend to be crude, for the most part, or overly violent. There are a few American animated features I've seen generally aimed at adults which did not fall into one of those two categories. There are exceptions. Shows like Star Wars: Clone Wars is an excellent series which can be viewed by various audiences of different ages without crudeness. Then there's the American Marvel super hero shows, which tell some great stories with some fun characters. There are shows like Samurai Jack which told epic tales aimed not at the youngest of viewers. Phineas and Ferb is a children's cartoon in a sense, but the episodes are awesome. Yea, it's about two step brothers who create these fascinating inventions every episode, their friends joining in with them, their sister trying to get them in trouble for it, and oh right - they have a pet platypus who's also a secret agent stopping crimes of a silly mad scientist. It's awesome. These types of excellent, non-child focused and non-crude American animations exist, but are not the baseline. My children love the cartoons aimed at them, but the few I watch with them and enjoy are able to transcend the children only audience and show something more interesting.

For Japanese audiences and those outside Japan who are interested in anime, the genre is more than that. Animation is the medium, but within it is a myriad of genres. American animation falls only into a few genres - children's tales being the primary genre.

All that said - I have laughed my butt off at anime before. If you have never watched Tonari no Seki-kun do it. As in now. It's hilarious fun in a short form anime. Anime has and does make me laugh from time to time. It depends on what you're watching, IMO.

Ezmyreld
Ezmyreld Apr 8 '15
I should say that anime is a type of cartoon, not merely American style, but a more developed and improved cartoon. I know this would make American Anime fans mad, but it's just the truth.
Hatsune_Miku
Hatsune_Miku Apr 8 '15
I agree that American cartoons aimed at adults are very crude. That's why I don't really like them. But the same is found in Anime, but Anime is more developed as Ezmyreld said. I just wonder if there are any animations geared towards adults that aren't crude. Perhaps we need to make one. I'll check out Tonari no Seki-kun. I'll see if it really does make me laugh.
mdmrn
mdmrn Apr 10 '15

Quote from Hatsune_Miku I agree that American cartoons aimed at adults are very crude. That's why I don't really like them. But the same is found in Anime, but Anime is more developed as Ezmyreld said. I just wonder if there are any animations geared towards adults that aren't crude. Perhaps we need to make one. I'll check out Tonari no Seki-kun. I'll see if it really does make me laugh.
Let me know what you think of Tonari no Seki-kun if you end up watching it! And like I said - the general audience type shows like Star Wars Clone Wars are the best that American cartoons tend to have & they can from time to time tackle tougher situations.
Hatsune_Miku
Hatsune_Miku Apr 11 '15
Will do. I am going to check it out right now!
mdmrn
mdmrn Apr 16 '15

Quote from Hatsune_Miku Will do. I am going to check it out right now!
Let me know if you've had a chance to check out Tonari No Seki-Kun. If so, wondering what you think! :) 
Hatsune_Miku
Hatsune_Miku Apr 24 '15

Quote from mdmrn
Let me know if you've had a chance to check out Tonari No Seki-Kun. If so, wondering what you think! :) 

I checked it out. I absolutely love it! So humorous. I'll be telling everyone I know about it. But you know, I think we need more artists on this site that could help produce some similar things to that.
mdmrn
mdmrn May 4 '15

Quote from Hatsune_Miku
Quote from mdmrn

I checked it out. I absolutely love it! So humorous. I'll be telling everyone I know about it. But you know, I think we need more artists on this site that could help produce some similar things to that.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you liked it.

Web-Stats

Language

Anime

Manga

Vocaloids

Tutorials

News

Bible Q & A